- 16 million inhabitants
- Land area: 752.61 km²
- 64% of the population lives under the poverty line
- Copper mining is an important source of income
- There are only 25 ophthalmologists in Zambia
The latest new from Zambia
World Sight Day (WSD) is an annual day of awareness held on the second Thursday of October, to focus global attention on blindness and vision impairment. The...
World Sight Day (WSD) is an annual day of awareness held on the second Thursday of October, to focus global attention on blindness and vision impairment. World...
In the waiting room of the hospital here in Zambia, a young woman sat with her head hanging down and her hands folded in her...
What does the Eye Care Foundation do?
The Eye Care Foundation has supported the eye department in the Macha Mission Hospital since early 2017. Macha is a village situated in the southern province of Zambia. The province has approximately 2 million inhabitants and there are now two ophthalmologists, including the one in Macha.
- Supporting the Macha eye clinic
- Performing cataract surgeries
- Providing and/or funding ophthalmic training courses and internships
- Organizing outreach activities in remote areas
- Performing eye exams and taking eye measurements to provide prescription glasses