- Nearly 15 million people in an area 5 times the size of The Netherlands
- 75% of people live in rural areas with extreme poverty and lack of education
- Poor infrastructure in remote areas
- little industry, mainly agriculture
- High dependence on international NGOs
- Slight economic growth since 1999 (for the first time in 30 years after the war)
The latest news from Cambodia
Ratanakiri is a province in northeast Cambodia. The province has about 184,000 inhabitants, most of whom work on the land. It is a poor province...
The eye clinic in Kratie, Cambodia has been renovated in 2017, thanks to our donors. We received some pictures showing a busy and well used...
Kratie province is a vast and underdeveloped area. The majority of the inhabitants work as farmers. Large parts of Kratie are affected by floods during...
What does the Eye Care Foundation do?
Since 1999, Eye Care Foundation supports eye care in Cambodia. The aid is aimed at people who are socially and economically disadvantaged. The focus of our aid is the structural composition of eye care: good and affordable eye care in the provinces by establishing a quality eye department in every hospital. This eye department also handles eye care in the rest of the province. The Eye Care Foundation is working with the National Eye Health Program (NEHP), part of the Department of Health. The NEHP is supported by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Building and equipping eye departments and eye clinics
- Eye surgery to prevent or cure blindness / visual impairment
- eye camps in remote areas
- Supporting national training for ophthalmologists at the University of Health Sciences in Phnom Penh.
- Additional training for ophthalmologists and optical nurses
- Training in basic eye care for health workers and village volunteers
- Information on the recognition and treatment of eye problems
The field office in Phnom Penh was opened in 2007. The country representative, Sao Chhorn, supervises the projects. He is assisted by Ouk Somuny who takes on the administration and finances. Sao Chhorn reports to Yvonne Reifler, head of projects of the Eye Care Foundation. The Dutch ophthalmologist Hedwig Kemme works on a voluntary basis as a medical advisor for our projects in this country.
Contact details Eye Care Foundation Cambodia
Tonle Bassac, Chamkar Morn
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
M. + 855 12 489628