- The country is politically stable
- There are approximately 49 million inhabitants
- 80% of the workforce is employed in agriculture
- 67% of the population lives below the poverty line
- It is heavily dependent on foreign aid
- There is a lack of basic health care
- The impact of HIV, malaria, low education and corruption impede the development of the country
Latest news from Tanzania
The Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC) in Moshi was originally a private institution providing service to the northern part of Tanzania. It acts as a tertiary...
Susannah Tadei is 36 years old and lives in Moshi, Tanzania. She walked into the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre holding onto her 10-year-old daughter`s arm. Susannah was...
What does the Eye Care Foundation do?
The Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC) was originally a private institution (a mission hospital) servicing the northern part of Tanzania. It acts as a tertiary hospital and is linked to the medical faculty of the Tumaini University.
Since 2009, the Eye Care Foundation supports the eye department of the KCMC Hospital in Moshi. The support consists of primary skills training for first-year ophthalmology residents and educating staff members in various subspecialties.
- Improved support for the ophthalmology training programme in the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC)
- Providing support to ophthalmologists of various subspecializations in the KCMC
- The donation of study materials and instruments to the KCMC